Gams

Monday, June 15, 2015

U...Right Now: A Just Nick DT page

Happy Monday! I announced in my post yesterday that I'm part of the the inaugural Just Nick design team.  Today is my first official post on the Just Nick blog, where I'm sharing this page starring my handsome six year old.  Isn't he cute, faux hawk and all?!


Supplies used: Just Nick cut files - Right Now, All Boy; Jillibean Soup -patterned paper, diecuts, stickers, enamel stars; Crate Paper - transparent letter; American Crafts - thicker, twine; October Afternoon - sticker labels, buttons, flair; Zig - Wink of Stella brush pen; Teresa Collins - enamel dots; Other - machine stitching, cardstock, foam adhesive, Veteran Typewriter font, date stamp, black ink pad.
I love adding pages to my kid's scrapbooks that highlight their interests, hobbies and personality traits for each year of their life.  The Right Now cut file, reminded me that I hadn't yet put together a page for my son's sixth year, since it was the perfect title for this type of 'highlight' page.

I love the mix of type in this cut file - it includes both a clean type and funky script.  The original design also includes a circle around the entirety of the design.  However, since I knew I'd be using a lot of linear elements on my page, I opted to remove the circle and simply cut the words.

Once sized, I cut the title two times - once out of cream cardstock and a second time from gray cardstock.  I layered the two cuts together, slightly offsetting the top piece, to create some added shadow and dimension.

 
The majority of my page is pretty busy and colorful, so I opted for a kraft background to ground the whole design.  With the cardstock background in place, the margins of my page still created a little more white space than I was going for.  To solve that problem, I cut some stars from the All Boy cut file out of the same kraft cardstock and layered them over the background piece to create a tone on tone effect.  To make those diecut stars pop just a little bit more, but still not overwhelm the remainder of the design, I colored them with a layer of Wink of Stella brush pen glitter.  The end result turned out to be subtle but cool!
 
 
The fun mix of patterned papers on this page can't be forgotten.  They are all from Jillibean Soup's 'Cool as a Cucumber Soup' collection.  I loved all the patterns so much, I cut 2" squares of my favorites and placed them in an incomplete grid on my background.  Lots of stiching and embellishments tie the entire design together!
 
 
Thanks for joining me today!  I hope you'll stop by the Just Nick blog and let me know what you think of my first post!

No comments:

Post a Comment